Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Who’s about to return to the world of paying rent, buying groceries, and doing her own dishes? That’s right, ladies and gentleman. I’ve found my new digs. Minus the paying rent part, I’m pumped!!!
  
The new place is in a fourplex, but I’m going to have to figure out something else to call it. “Hey, you should come over to my fourplex!” is just weird. Anyone who knows me knows how much I like to decorate, and a new place equals lots o' decorating. Especially this place. It doesn't have shiny new appliances or walk-in closets, or a remote access garage. But with a little paint and a lot of Clorox I think it’ll be even better than any of that stuff and feel much more like home!!
Pros:
  • Location – Still in uptown but just enough off the beaten path to feel a little less like I’m in college and a little more like an adult.
  • Rent – Better than my last place!
  • Character – Think hardwood floors, cool archways, etc.
  • Size – I thought my last place was a pretty decent size, but this is even bigger! 1,000 square feet for just little ol’ me!
  • Neighbors – I haven’t met them yet but have heard about them and think they’ll 1) be fun and 2) watch out for me.
  • A gut-feeling that it's just what I've been looking for. ;)
Cons:
  • Driveway – It’s semi-steep, made of gravel, and bound to cause several flat tires. Oh, and my car bottoms out every time I drive out.
  • Closet – All that’s in my bedroom is a coat closet. That’s it. There’s a bigger closet in the living room, though, so I think I can use that for my clothes. Or something…
  • Kitchen – It’s ugly. That’s really all there is to it. I’d love to paint the cabinets white because they’re the most offensive part, but I’m trying to tread lightly with the landlord so he doesn’t get freaked out by me. End of day, nothing a little Anthropologie can’t help. =)
  • Guest parking – It’s just on the street, and supposedly Zipperz – the gay bar just down the road – really draws a crowd on Tuesday and Friday evenings. Guess I’ll have to work my guest schedule around that.
I realize the con list looks longer than the pro list, but I’m blaming that on longer explanations. Overall, I’m super pumped and think it's going to be really awesome. I can’t wait to unleash the Doak-girl-decorating-crazy on it!

5 comments:

  1. yay! I'm excited! let the decorating begin. should be fun and i would be happy to help :) better to focus my energies outside of my own bank account and in yours.

    but, i'm happy about your new home - sounds great and i can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it will be fabulous once you give it a little TLC. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can make anything look fabulous! So excited for your new place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks cute! Congrats on your own place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I love the outside!!! I suggest an armoire or dresser for excess clothes :) Or completely convert another area of the house for storage? Who said that?

    Can't wait to see that new TV stand!

    ReplyDelete