Friday, March 26, 2010

Fish Fridays

In celebration of the second to last Friday of Lent (and being able to get out of the office to grab lunch), I did what any good Catholic girl would do and headed straight to McDonald's for a delicious Filet-O-Fish. Truth be told – and since the picture is going to incriminate me anyway – I went full throttle and ordered a #13. Terrible, I know, but Lent really isn't fully celebrated unless a Filet-O-Fish is involved, and who am I to get in the way of tradition?
A few years ago I heard that the FOF is actually one of the least healthy items at McDonald's. After a little further investigating (post-lunch, clearly) I had my info. And it wasn't pretty. The FOF weighs in at a whopping 380 calories. HOWEVER, of the 30 sandwiches listed online, the FOF was the 11th healthiest option, with the Angus Bacon & Cheese bringing up the rear (the pant-splittin' rear) with a diet-obliterating 790 calories. And you know nobody orders that one with a Diet Coke. 

Just a little more Catholocism/Filet-O-Fish 101 to share at your next cocktail party...The Filet-O-Fish was introduced in 1963 in response to declining sales at restaurants because of the Catholic practice of not eating meat on Fridays. Today, nearly 25% of all Filet-O-Fish sales occur in the 40 days of Lent. 

File this one under Catholocism, Fast Food Nation, and I know who needs to work-out this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hahahah. Loved this post, and your wise decision to put God over Calories! Next week: Long John Silver's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy. i haven't had one this lenten season (though I forget and eat meat most Fridays anyway), but maybe i'll have to save this for the last Friday of lent. We all know I'm not on any kind of a diet anyway...might as well throw this in the mix.

    ReplyDelete