Saturday, February 20, 2010

Snow Day!

By now, every other person in the city of Dallas with a blog has posted about the snowstorm last week. I guess that’s how this is supposed to work; something happen, you post immediately. Well, I’m a little slow, but here goes nonetheless!

Long story short, it snowed a mother load last week. I’m not talking the usual Dallas baloney where the whether man predicts ice and we all leave work early “just in case.” I’m talking for reals snow. Like, 13” in some places and 8” or more for the entire city. It was the most snow Dallas has ever had! So fun!!

Before getting into the details of this snowstorm, let me tell you about my relationship with snow and cold weather, in general. It’s been minimal. I’m not a fan of the cold, at all, and would much prefer a beach vacation vs. a ski vacation. However, if I am going to be in snow there’s really only one thing I want to be doing. No, not peeing my pants screaming my way down the bunny slopes (yes, that’s what I do), but sledding! I looooove sledding. Not that I’ve done it very often, but whenever there’s a chance I’m game.

We had one pretty good ice during college went sledding down the giant hill by the LBJ school at UT and the death ramp in the back SRD parking lot. The only other time I can remember good sledding was a family ski trip to Utah about 10 years ago. All I remember was sledding with my sisters – Anne, in particular – and getting in a spar with some smart-mouth little 8 year-old boy. I don’t remember the details, but I do remember that he was a brat and that we did not take the high road. Whoops.

Back to the great snow of 2010. Realizing that record snow = an opportunity to go sledding, I recruited my sisters for a little Friday afternoon fun. We drove around for a while and eventually found a rec center with a decent hill. After quite a few failed attempts (turns out thick, powdery snow isn’t as good for sledding as slick, packed snow/ice…duh), we finally had a pretty good little setup. Unfortunately we weren’t really set until all of our pants were completely soaked through with ice, our toes frozen, etc. I just have a few pics, but check out my Anne’s blog for some videos here.  


1 comment:

  1. bahhaha. Those videos are hilarious. You ladies are TOO cute.

    ReplyDelete