Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mmmmm Good

One of my goals for 2012 is to cook more often. Cooking for one just isn't all that great, plus by the time I get home from work I'm usually ready to eat whatever I can get my hands on so I tend to make something that's QUICK. But, I really like cooking, it's usually less expensive and healthier* than eating out, and the more I do it the better I'll get, so I'm going to try to cook a "real" meal (I'm defining this as needing a recipe and most likely requiring the stove and/or oven) at least every other week. Not all that often, I realize, but I'm all about realistic goals and that's certainly more than I'm cooking now. Plus, there's no saying I can't do more if I get into it.

The lighting in my apartment at night isn't
the greatest, but you get the idea.
*Also, this one probably doesn't qualify
as a "healthier"option. Oops.
Last night was my first shot at it and I had the perfect incentive – one of my good friends at work recently had a baby and I signed up on the "CareCalendar" to bring her dinner. (By the way, I think this idea is amazing, baby or not. If anybody wants to volunteer to bring me dinner on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays for the next few months, please leave a comment and I'll get that rocking.)

This week's dish – prepared last night to be delivered tonight – was a recipe from Anne that we made when we were in Bermuda. I'm really not a fan of enchiladas, but this chicken enchilada casserole recipe was really good and pretty simple. Especially when you buy a rotisserie chicken instead of starting from scratch. Again, baby steps, people. Maybe by the end of the year I'll have cooked my first real chicken. (Ever.) Or maybe not. There's a reason boneless, skinless chicken breasts/tenders exist and same goes for rotisserie chicken. Let's not make this more difficult than it needs to be. Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Ha - I like that the picture (which looks delish, by the way) has a glow to it - manna from Heaven :) Do you ever do stir fry? That's a good baby step dish that's pretty quick to crank out and hard to screw up!

    ReplyDelete