Friday, January 13, 2012

Let Your Crazy Out

In the week since I read Laura's post and decided that I, too, should jump on the Pinterest train, it's become something of a time-sucking, know-it's-probably-wrong-but-can't-quite-make-myself-stop obsession instead. Kind of like I thought it would be. (Thanks a lot Laura, this is all your fault.)

What's it called when you become interested in something and then suddenly it's all around you? Well, whatever that's called, that's what's going on. Last Friday (the day I read LB's post) there were multiple posts on Facebook about Pinterest (strangely, some people seem really confused and/or intimidated by it). I've also gotten some good tips from friends. Like Sarai, who explained that if she REALLY loves something she doesn't pin it because she doesn't want people to steal "her" idea. (Helllllll-o, my friends are so smart.)

It's also been interesting to hear from people who aren't so into the whole thing. Like Lundy, who referenced Jackie's comment on LB's post and felt the same --- basically, just not really understanding the point of it. It's certainly a valid point. BUT. For. The. Record. After our chat on Sunday afternoon, Lundy ended up pinning her heart out on Sunday night. SUCKAA! (If I happened to check Pinterest while writing this post (psycho!) I might have also seen her post again. Right now. Hehe.)

Now that I'm just rambling I'll point out a few of my favorite things so far:
1. Getting to dream and be creative and "cyber have" all the things I like without spending a penny.
2. Feeling really cool when people like or re-pin my stuff (um, yeah, pretty sure i could pin something that's completely fugly and someone, somewhere would think it was great, but whatever). 
3. Joining in on stuff that's not really kosher considering my current life stage (i.e., a wedding board when I'm not even engaged), but that – in this universe – is pretty widely accepted. I will admit that this became slightly more awkward when Matt's sister liked one of my pins on that board. Oopsies. My sisters recommended that I try to keep my craziness a little more concealed like Lizzi, who's just as crazy but thinks if she titles her board "parties" nobody will notice all the white flowy gowns and diamonds. Good thing Matt already knows I've got a little crazy in me. On a related note, I read this blog post and loved one quote, in particular: "For the love of God, men, PLEASE stay off of Pinterest. Not only will it scare the shit out of you, but it will also convince you that every girl you know is absolutely insane. Do us all a favor, and let us be needy/romantic/delusional hot messes in the privacy of our own gender."

This chic has it so right. And since reading her post I've suggested that Matt never ever ever ever look at my board again.  Cheers to all you other hot messes our there.

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! I was showing my mom how to use the website just now when you stalkerishly saw me post. :) It's PERFECT for her, she's always saving decor pics for ideas. I totally get the purpose I'm just not currently needing to spend money or redecorate so why tease myself. :) It is definitely useful for projects or party ideas! MWAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I love that girl's quote. Case in point: while looking for ideas for Jackie's baby shower, I ran across a nursery that was way too adorable not to pin. So I did. Then I thanked the good Lord that Brian doesn't know how to find my Pinterest page. Per Lizzi's tactic, maybe I could call that board "redecorating"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit it makes me nervous to think that people can see my pins even if it girls, I wish it was like FB and I could pick and choose who could see my boards. I would let like 3 people see them and THEN you could really see the madness come ALIVE!!

    ReplyDelete