One day every year I wake up, put on an Orkin uniform, and go see what the wonderful world of pest and termite control has to offer. Today was that day for 2010. The idea behind "ridealongs" is that those of us who work on the Orkin account spend a whole lot of time throughout the year doing research, developing strategies, and coming up with new creative to sell Orkin, so spending a day in the life of an Orkin Man (or woman, as the case may be) is another point of reference and way to keep us connected. Makes sense, right?
I showed up this morning at the Carrollton branch and quickly spotted Sue – the only female tech at that branch and the manager of all of the guys (girl power, what what!). I wasn't riding with Sue today, but we're old friends (see picture below circa 2008). You can't see it, but I was definitely wearing a fake wedding ring that year. Just in case. (To clarify, Sue is not scary. I just didn't know who I'd be with or what they'd be like.) We were both supposed to do goofy faces in the pic, but she only got 1/2 the memo, so I might look like a jerk. Just a bit. Our glasses are pretty baller though, huh?
| With Sue in 2008 |
Not that these two pics ARE good, but 2009's was exceptionally bad, so just use your imagination. And envision the sun being really bright for the whole year. Thus the blonder color in 2010. =)
| With David today |
My guy today – David – was pretty cool. Although when he came in this morning, and they told him I'd be riding with him, he cursed and threw his arms in the air. Then he realized I was in the room and apologized. Haha. Excellent start. I sat in on the team's morning meeting and really earned some street cred when the room full of guys (and Sue) couldn't think of the name of the new Chicago Bears QB. "Jay Cutler?" I threw out. BOOYAH! One point for Amy. David turned out to be a nice guy and later apologized again for his "reaction" saying he just hadn't remembered that today was the day. Haha, sorry buddy.
As for the work itself, it really wasn't bad. There was one house where David had to put on his HVAC suit and go under, but he didn't have an extra so I stood on the sidelines. Darn. Being a 27-year old girl in an Orkin uniform can really throw people off. To the point that it's pretty entertaining. An old guy at one of the houses today asked if David was my dad because we apparently look alike. David got a real kick out of that. We spent a lot of time driving in the truck from house to house, talking sports, listening to The Ticket, eating lunch at Hoffbrau House (my treat, his choice), and getting our termite detecting on. Aside from one moment of over-sharing (right before lunch came out he divulged that he'd taken 3 sick days this year because he'd been suffering from diarrhea), he was pleasant company and the day was a success! So until next year...
ha - i love this - makes me laugh.
ReplyDeleteDo you get to keep the Orkin shirt and bust it out once a year, or do they have ride-a-long uni's on hand at the Orkin dispatch? Because that would be a pretty good Halloween costume if you threw in a hard hat, clipboard, and maybe a bug sprayer filled with booze for Halloween charm. Diarrhea.
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh, I love it. mostly his first impression, of course. so glad you weren't on WILDLIFE CONTROL duty!
ReplyDeleteohhhh man. i look forward to this story every year. I'm pretty convinced that Sue has been the best one so far. She's my favorite in those glasses. Good times.
ReplyDelete